A new photo of the beautiful city of Canterbury in Kent and surrounding area every day.

Wednesday 5 November 2008

We Won't Forget You - Poppy Appeal

I'm dedicating all my blogs until next Tuesday to all the soldiers who fought for us in many wars. Some of them were lucky enough to came back alive to share with us the suffering of horrors of those who made the ultimate sacrifice.

I shall start with these four lovely chaps who I met in Canterbury yesterday and kindly agreed to let me take their photos. They were collecting for the British Legion.
The British Legion is an organization which "provides financial, social and emotional support to millions who have served and are currently serving in the Armed Forces, and their dependants. Currently, nearly 10.5 million people are eligible for our support and we receive thousands of calls for help every year.
The Legion was founded in 1921 as a voice for the ex-Service community and over 380,000 members continue to ensure that this voice does not go unheard. Although the needs of ex-Service people have changed over the years, we are still there to safeguard their welfare, interests and memory. British service people are in action around the world every day of the year. They know that if they need our support - now or in the future - the Legion is always on active duty for them" Source: http://www.britishlegion.org.uk/

4 comments:

GeneMarine said...

Rose,

As a veteran of Vietnam, I applaud your efforts in this regard.
When I visited Dover Castle last year, the story of the British evacuation from Dunkirk was brought to life through the wonderful museum there. British and American veterans salute you!

Tanya Breese said...

Amen! We have the poppys here too and I always get one when I see them set up.

The W.O.W. factor! said...

What a wonderful tribute you are doing here! They so deserve it!

Ms M said...

That's a wonderful tribute. My grandfather was a World War I vet, who fought in France. He always bought poppy pins on Remembrance Day and gave them to us to wear.